The Obama administration deleted hundreds of speeches and statements on the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) website just hours before President Donald Trump officially entered office, according to research released Tuesday.
A collection of 190 transcripts of speeches on ICE’s website was deleted on Jan. 18 and late in the evening on Jan. 19, 2017, according to research conducted by the Sunlight Foundation, a nonpartisan organization that advocates for government transparency. Statements made by high-ranking ICE officials regarding controversial immigration topics such as sanctuary cities, E-Verify, treatment of detainees, and other issues were included in the reported deletions.
“With a couple of clicks of a mouse, access to a federal government web resource containing 12 years of primary source materials on ICE’s history was lost,” the Sunlight Foundation wrote, noting that archived speeches dating back from 2004 were among those deleted.
Speeches from former acting ICE Director Thomas Homan, a public supporter of Trump’s immigration policies, were among those prominently included in the deletion list.
A February 2016 speech delivered to the Senate Judiciary Committee by Homan was among those removed. Then the executive associate director of Enforcement and Removal Operations, Homan spoke about the “Unaccompanied Minor Crisis,” telling lawmakers how the agency and the Obama White House were working to manage the surge of young illegal children reaching the southern border en masse.
It is not yet clear why the Obama White House reportedly deleted these specific transcripts, and ICE did not respond to a request for comment from The Daily Caller News Foundation. While the Sunlight Foundation stated that outgoing administrations make routine changes to their websites, they also noted that some edits may be for “historical or political” purposes. (RELATED: The Governor Of Colorado Just Made It Harder For ICE To Apprehend Illegal Migrants)
“It is not inconceivable that an outgoing Democratic administration might want to avoid preserving these public stances for future scrutiny,” the Foundation wrote. “The removal of the ICE speeches collection represents the loss of a primary source history of the early days of ICE, dating back to its creation during the George W. Bush administration in 2003.”
Follow Jason on Twitter.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.TAGS : BARACK OBAMADONALD TRUMPIMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT SHARE ON FACEBOOK TWEET THIS SHOW COMMENTSSponsored Content
- Chiropractors Baffled: Simple Stretch Relieves Years of Back Pain (Watch)www.my-health-easy.com
- Unique Chip Discovery Set To Make 5G Red Hotsecure.angelpub.com
- 20 Actors Who Were Also Incredible AthletesTie Breaker
- [Photos] This is a Real Archaeological Find That Scientists Can’t ExplainCoolimba
- Let’s Keep Patient-Centered Solutions at the Forefront of Health Care PoliciesMorning Consult
- [Photos] Underneath The Ice Was, A Mystery That Even Science Can’t ExplainCoolimba
- NBC Faces Flak For Naming Maddow A Moderator For Presidential Debate
- Abby Wambach Suggests Women’s National Soccer Team Wouldn’t Be Criticized For…
- Five Ways You Can Level Up Your Small Business…WordPress
- Cancelled: Another Series Gets The BootALOT Living
- Save on Parisian Pet I’m Kind of a Big Deal Dog &…Chewy
- ‘Empire’ Director Lee Daniels Says He’s ‘Beyond Embarrassed’ About Jussie Smollett…
- Cleveland Cavaliers Hire Former Cal Women’s Coach Lindsay Gottlieb
Female Soccer Player Sends Insanely Stupid Tweet After The National Team Beats Thailand 13-0Did Manafort’s Lawyers Find The Leaker On Mueller’s Team?What’s The Best Bang For Your Buck Frying Pan? We Scoured Amazon Reviews So You Don’t Have ToMelania Wows In Gorgeous Pale Pink Pantsuit During Polish President VisitFBI Releases Its Files On Playboy Founder Hugh Hefner. Here’s Why They Wanted To Place Him Under Surveillance‘Save Chick-fil-A Bill’ Approved By Texas GovernorHunter Biden Is A Sucker For LoveUS Women’s Soccer Player Ignored The National Anthem As An ‘F-You’ To TrumpHeadlines Blast Trump For Putting Migrant Children In Old Japanese Internment CampDaily Caller News Foundation Defeats FBI’s Bid To Shield Docs Surrounding Comey Ally
- [Gallery] The Most Terrifying Images Ever Captured By DronesScience A2Z
- About Plaque Psoriasis: Learn About Causes & SymptomsYahoo! Search
- [Pics] Mama Bear Hugs Man After He Saves Her Drowning CubScience 101
- 27 Beach Photos That Are HilariousTopix Passport
- About us
- Advertise With Us
- Emails and Notifications
- Contact Us
© Copyright 2010 – 2018 | The Daily Caller