Georgia Democratic Lawmaker Appears To Be Caught Lying About Alleged Racist Encounter
A Georgia state lawmaker appears to have been caught lying about her allegation that she was told to “go to back to where you came from” by a white customer in an Atlanta grocery store.
On Friday, Erica Thomas, a Democrat, alleged that a “white man” called her a “lazy son of a b*tch” and told her to “go back” to where she came from. (RELATED: ‘Incredible Patriots’ — Trump Stands Behind North Carolina Rally Crowd Despite ‘Send Her Back’ Chant)
“Today I was verbally assaulted in the grocery store by a white man who told me I was a lazy SOB and to go back to where I came from bc I had to many items in the express lane,” Thomas said in a Friday tweet. “My husband wasn’t there to defend me because he is on Active Duty serving the country I came from USA!”
On the same day Thomas detailed the alleged encounter in a Facebook live video. She opened up by saying, “People are getting really out of control with this white privilege stuff.”
On Sunday, Eric Sparkes stepped forwarded and claimed he was the man that Thomas was referring to in the grocery store. He denied ever making any racially charged insults towards Thomas and said he only called her a “lazy b*itch” because she had too many items in the express checkout lane.
“I’m a liar about what?” Thomas said while yelling at Sparkes, who were both being interviewed by local media.
“Everything that happened,” Sparkes responded. “Me telling you to ‘Go back where you came from.’ Did I say that? Is it on video?”
“Are you serious? What did you say to me then,” Thomas asked.
“I called you a lazy b*tch,” Sparkes answered. “That’s the worst thing I said.”
Sparkes told reporters that he is a Democrat and a Hispanic American who vehemently opposes President Trump. He added that Thomas was only doing this to help further her political career.
“This woman is playing the victim for political purposes because she is a state legislator,” Sparkes said in a video by CBS 46. “I’m a Democrat and will vote Democrat for the rest of my life, so to call me whatever she wants to believe. For her political purposes, make it black, white, brown, whatever. It is untrue.”
On July 12, Sparkes wrote another anti-Trump post where he stated, “For the Trumpers I grew up with this is the hidden and outright vocal bigotry, ignorance and racism I experienced at times because my grandmother did not speak English, only Spanish.” Sparkes continued, writing, “So my anger comes, FU all racists and to the ones that say you aren’t racist then you are lying to yourselves.”
Many were outraged when Sparkes stepped forward to claim Thomas had made up the racial insults. (RELATED: Twitter Suspends Angel Mom’s Account For Criticizing Kamala Harris)
Later, Thomas appeared to walk back her claims saying that Sparkes may not have exactly told her to go back to her country.
“I don’t want to say he said, ‘Go back to your country,’ or ‘Go back to where you came from,’” Thomas said. “But he was making those types of references is what I remember.”
On Saturday, after Sparkes had stepped forward, California Sen. Ted Lieu deleted his tweet of support for Thomas where he blamed the incident on Trump and Republicans.
What? @RepTedLieu deleted this already? Did he post an update? An apology? An explanation? https://twitter.com/1badhombredfw/status/1152778055066296320 …III Campos@1badhombreDFWReplying to @RealDeanCain @RepTedLieuHe deleted his tweet, thank God I screenshotted. @RepTedLieu would you like to make an apology before you are sued for slander and defamation?1,08611:13 PM – Jul 20, 2019Twitter Ads info and privacy472 people are talking about thisTags : donald trumperica thomasjussie smollett
PHILLIP NIETOSponsored Content
- Never Travel Without These Shoes AgainRothy’s on TODAY
- The Best Attorneys In Washington. See The ListTop Attorney | Search Ads
- How Far Does $1 Million Go in Retirement?Fisher Investments
- This Is the Best Place to Retire in All 50 StatesForbes
- [Photos] What Sam Elliott Really Did in The Army is IncredibleCoolimba
- 49 Fascinating Facts About Life in Russia you Better not MissDirect Expose
- REPORT: Swedish Judge Rules A$AP Rocky Will Be Kept In Jail, Prosecutors Plan To Indict
- Trevor Lawrence Calls Paul Finebaum ‘Unprofessional’ After Clemson Criticism
- [Pics] The Game Of Thrones Actresses Are Unrecognizable Out…Livestly
- [Gallery] This Is The U.S. Navy’s Most Decorated Ship – And…Absolutehistory
- If You Still Have Any Of These 30 Toys, You Just Made A Ton Of…Finance 101
- Young Philadelphia Phillies Fan’s Act Of Kindness Will Restore Your Faith In Humanity
- Ilhan Omar Stonewalling Hometown Paper On Marriage Controversy, Editor Says
A new conversation is coming toDaily CallerEmail AddressSign Up
TRENDING1Bob Beckel Breaks Confidentiality Agreement, Says Fox News Exit Was A Set-UpMEDIA2Georgia Democratic Lawmaker Appears To Be Caught Lying About Alleged Racist EncounterUS3Trump Crashes MAGA Wedding, Kisses Bride As Crowd Chants ‘USA! USA!’US4Sen. Menendez Accused Of Consistently Obstructing Trump Nominees In Foreign Relations CommitteePOLITICS5Pro-Trump Women Punch Back At CNN’s Biased Questions Right To Interviewer’s Face: Unfit To Print
- 25 Missing People That Were Found AliveRanker
- [Pics] Experts Ranked The Best US Presidents. Guess Who Is No. 1Ice Pop
- 72 ct. Custom 11 oz. Ceramic Mug – Midnight Blue – One SizeCustom Ink
- Earth Origins Clara Casey – Womens Casual – BlackEarth