Federal Judge Holds Secretary DeVos In Contempt Of Court, Imposes Fine Of $100,000
Mary Margaret Olohan on October 25, 2019
A federal judge held Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos in contempt of court Thursday.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Sallie Kim imposed a $100,000 fine on DeVos for violating a court order that mandated DeVos stop collecting student loans owed by students at defunct Corinthian Colleges, according to Politico, which noted that it is highly unusual for a judge to hold the head of an agency in contempt.
The Trump administration previously asked Kim to avoid imposing fines or holding DeVos in contempt, saying the Department of Education had “been working diligently and in good faith to correct errors,” Politico reported.
The lawsuit named DeVos in her capacity as DOE secretary. The government will pay the $100,000, and DeVos will not be personally responsible for the sum.
Kim wrote in the ruling that “only minimal efforts to comply with the preliminary injunction” were made “to comply with the preliminary injunction.”
The DOE, which did not respond to requests for comment from the Daily Caller News Foundation, tweeted about the ruling Thursday night.
“We’re disappointed in the court’s ruling. We acknowledged that servicers made unacceptable mistakes.”
McCabe defended the FBI’s activities in the early days of the Trump-Russia investigation and said that he is not concerned that he is a target of the criminal portion of the Durham probe.
“Is it your concern that that investigation is now targeting you and your work?” Sciutto asked.
“No,” said McCabe.
“Here’s my concern, Jim. So, if the investigation is conducted with integrity, with impartiality, if there aren’t preconceived theories or judgments brought into it, then I have no concerns about it whatsoever, whether it’s an internal investigation or conducted as a criminal probe.”
“I know, because I was there, I was in the room when these decisions were made, I worked with the team that opened and initiated these cases, approved their work — I know that nothing improper was done.”
The FBI during McCabe’s tenure investigated whether the Trump campaign conspired with the Russian government to influence the 2016 election. Investigators relied heavily on the infamous but unverified Steele dossier to obtain surveillance warrants against Trump aide Carter Page.
The FBI’s handling of the dossier is the subject of a Justice Department inspector general’s report that is expected to be released soon.
McCabe criticized Barr and President Trump in his interview with Sciutto, saying that the public “should be very concerned” that they have questioned the FBI’s handling of the Russia investigation.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.