President Trump to sign executive order that will ‘temporarily suspend immigration into the United States’
On late Monday, President Trump announced that he will be signing an executive order to “temporarily suspend immigration into the United States,” in light of the negative economic impacts of the coronavirus.
Previously, Trump closed the country’s northern and southern borders to all non-essential travel and created travel bans to and from China and Europe. The immigration ban is the logical next step in protecting the American people against not only the virus, but against job loss as well.
More than 20 million Americans have lost their jobs in the last four weeks, and that number is only expected to grow as the country continues to remain closed. Securing jobs for the American people then becomes a top priority as the country plans its eventual reopening.
In response to the president’s announcement, Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ) wrote, “Thank you, @realDonaldTrump! All immigration to the United States should halt until every American who wants a job has one!”
Said Roy Beck, president of NumbersUSA: “The president’s comments reflect a sensitivity to a primary purpose of all immigration laws of every country, and that is to protect a nation’s vulnerable workers. With tens of millions of Americans who want to work full time not able to, most immigration makes no sense today, and to allow it to continue at its current level at this time would show a callous disregard for those enduring deep economic suffering.”
Of course, many Democrats are unhappy with the decision to temporarily ban immigration to the U.S.
As reported by Fox News, Rep. Don Beyer (D-VA), said Trump was looking for “someone to blame for his own failure.”
Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) had this to say:
The exact details of the executive order are still unknown, but more details should emerge soon.