Newsom brings back coronavirus restrictions in California
In March, California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) was the first to impose a mandatory stay-at-home order in the country. He eased restrictions in April after increasing pressure from residents but now with hospitalizations at 40 percent, Newsom is again putting his foot down.
The governor has ordered all bars to close and restaurants, wineries, tasting rooms, family entertainment centers, zoos, museums and card rooms must suspend their indoor activities. Additionally, all gyms, churches, malls, barbershops, salons and non-critical offices must shut back down. The order impacts more than 30 counties or roughly 80 percent of California’s population.
“We’ve made this point on multiple occasions and that is, we’re moving back into a modification mode of our original stay-at-home order,” Newsom said. “This continues to be a deadly disease.”
The state is currently reporting more than 320,000 COVID-19 cases and more than 7,000 deaths, with 23 people dying from the virus since Sunday. Los Angeles County leads both the state and the country in number of confirmed COVID-19 cases with more than 133,000. Cases began rising in early June increasing 48 percent in the past two weeks.
Republicans in California say that Newsom has learned nothing from the harm his previous shutdown did to the state’s economy.
“It’s sad but Newsom just shut down ALL INDOOR BUSINESSES AGAIN because of reported rises in COVID-19 numbers. This is not a man who should have power over the lives of others because his decisions seem designed to hurt the people of California. #ImpeachNewsom,” tweeted James Bradley, a Republican candidate for Congress in California.
Newson had recently instituted a mandatory mask-wearing policy but admitted it was too difficult to enforce and that many in the state were not participating.
“Wear a mask for essential workers, for your neighbors and for your loved ones. Together we can slow the spread! #YourActionsSaveLives,” the governor’s office tweeted.
Earlier on Monday, Los Angeles and San Diego school districts announced they will not reopen for in-person instruction when the 2020-21 academic year begins next month.
The World Health Organization says that the pandemic is worsening globally and things won’t return to normal for some time yet.
Scroll down to comment!